We are looking for pitches from individuals with varied lived experiences and identities, who can connect with a wide audience through authentic and compelling writing.
Many of the pieces published in the Personal or Opinion sections are paid.
Topics we’re interested in include:
- Federal and state politics
- Social issues
- Health and mental health
- Sex and relationships
- Money and career
- Stories that reflect an American experience.
What we look for in a pitch:
- A clear, proposed headline as the subject line of your email. Specify here if your pitch is timely, and whether it is OPINION or PERSONAL
- Briefly summarize the focus of your story
- In a sentence, tell us who you are and why you’re the right person to write the piece. What’s your relevant expertise or experience?
- Tell us why this argument or story matters. What are the stakes?
- Links to your previous writing, if relevant
- A proposed word count and deadline, if relevant.
We do not accept:
- Pitches from PR representatives or agents
- Brand-supported submissions; authors who have a financial stake in a topic; posts that endorse a product or read like a publicity post
- Interviews, reviews, profiles, fiction, videos
- Writing that has been published elsewhere
- Pitches with attachments.
Please note we will only respond to email pitches that are a strong fit for publication.
Pitch to us at firstname.lastname@example.org